Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Mighty Dagger of Todd

Hey Guys!

So I was watching The Aquabats! Super Show! and I decided that I wanted my own Mighty Dagger of Todd. About a week later I got a new couch that was covered in cardboard. I knew it was meant to be.

The first thing I did was gather some reference photos. Here's what I got:

One of the hardest Parts about this build, was figuring out whate size to make it. It seems to change size in almost every frame. ( I justify this by remembering that it's a magic sword.)

The Size I decided to go with was the more sword-like dagger:

First I scaled it in photoshop and printed it out on multiple pieces of paper. Then I cut out a blade out of cardboard, and then cut out the parts for the handle and put them around the blade (I don't have any pictures of this part, sorry) I used hot glue for this part.

For the Slanted part of the blade, I first tried doing it in hot glue and that failed miserably. Then I got the idea to use the bottom of a FedEx Pak. That way I knew I had a straight fold. I first put a trail of hot glue down the length of the blade, to hold up the center. I then Glued it onto the blade and trimmed it. If i had thought ahead, I could of made the cardboard blade thinner and used the Pak to create a "cutting edge" on the sides of the blade. I then taped the seam on the edge.  


I then used hot glue to fill in the handle.

I then Stared bondo-ing the blade; but I was lazy and hot, so I only did one side (and sanded it quite poorly). For the handle, I decided to go lazy and tape it.

For the eyes, I cut out the shape on some cardstock and then used hot glue to give it the 3D shape. Then glued them in place.
After this, I covered the handle in Elmers white glue and let it dry. This didn't hide the texture of the tape, but made it less evident, and less likely to come undone.

I then, for some reason, painted the entire thing in brown tempera paint, then black. Then I spray painted the handle grey. Then Taped the handle off and sprayed the Blade Silver.

I then taped off the Handle where I wanted the lines and used a paint pen to fill this in. I taped around the eyes and spared them red. Don't forget the nose thing! (the color difference is just the lighting)

I also made a wall mount for it.

____________________________________________

So that's a rough walkthrough of how I made my Mighty Dagger of Todd. I kind of just figured it out as I went. 
This build was 100% free; I only used supplies and tools I had. When I get a steady job and can afford to, I want to revisit this build and make it better quality and make resin casts of it (maybe even ones that can glow).

Stay Rad,
-Awesome Lad



No comments:

Post a Comment